Report on CentralNic sheds light on domain parking business

0 Comments

Credit: Original article published by Domain Name Wire.

Report reveals performance of domain monetization during pandemic downturn. 

Domain monetization is taking a hit in Q2.

Did you know that public companies can pay research firms to cover them? Well, at least if the company is traded on the London AIM.

Domain name company CentralNic (London AIM: CNIC) entered into a deal to pay Edison Investment Research £49,500 per year to produce a detailed report on the company and make quarterly updates.

With that significant disclosure out of the way, Edison’s initial report is worth reading. It lays out the CentralNic roll-up investment thesis in a way that the company probably couldn’t do itself due to forecasting and guidance rules.

It also discloses more details about the company’s domain name monetization business that it acquired late last year — Team Internet.

Team Internet owns domain parking company ParkingCrew.com.

As I suspected, Team Internet has taken a bit of a hit in Q2 during the Covid-19 crisis as the ad market has come under pressure.

CentralNic grossed $56.4 in Q1 2020, but Edison forecasts $43 million in Q2 due to the ad slowdown. Domain registrations are up, so the hit on the ad business must be severe.

The report states that CentralNic hopes to cater more to domain investors with its acquisition of Team Internet.

It also discloses some of the economics of the ParkingCrew business. The service monetizes 22 million domains owned by 35,000 people. It pays 75% of its earnings to the investor and keeps the other 25%. This nets out to $10.09 on average per domain per year to the investor and $3.36 to CentralNic.

The business generates $1.6M of revenue per employee.

Post link: Report on CentralNic sheds light on domain parking business

© DomainNameWire.com 2020. This is copyrighted content. Domain Name Wire full-text RSS feeds are made available for personal use only, and may not be published on any site without permission. If you see this message on a website, contact editor (at) domainnamewire.com. Latest domain news at DNW.com: Domain Name Wire.

Categories: